A game of unnamed emotions

I talked with a scientist friend of mine the other day. She told me about emotions and how they aren’t what we think they are. And that they are more varied and weird than the older models suggested. Emotions are, according to the newer models based on the newer data, learned concepts and there are emotions that only exist within a certain cultural concept.

And learning that, and being a sucker for terminology (thanks mom), I thought it would be interesting to name some unnamed emotions and to maybe give them a name.

I’m thinking similar to the “If I had” - game but in reverse. I describe a feeling I have no name for, the next person answers a name they think would fit for it and then describe their own emotion? (for fun so don’t overthink the names or emotions if you don’t want to)

Emotion: The elated feeling when you manage to remember someone’s name before it gets awkward.

3 Likes

Word: nymief, a portmanteau of “nym” as in name, and “relief”.

Emotion: The conviction that you are going to die, in the moment that pain swells.

3 Likes

Word: nightdread
Emotion: A desperate anxiety somewhere between memento morí, loneliness and disillusionment about closest relationships; but an anxiety that you can sleep over; something cured by seeing the sun.

2 Likes

Word: crepusculum
Emotion: the fear and self-doubt of leaving hard-won friends to return to a home country of people who never quite liked you.

2 Likes

Word: assuredtimor colloquial ‘buggered’

Emotion: the sense of extreme longing for something that can never be had, held or realised but would result in utopia.

3 Likes

Word: Vackerlögnlängtan (Longing for a Beautiful lie), a compound word formed through compounding Vacker (beautiful), Lögn (Lie) and Längtan (Melancholy longing / desire). I can supply a pronunciation guide if wanted.

Emotion: The sense of wonder and elation felt when walking home in the pouring rain after something good has happened.